Sociology and Explanations (Re: Hitchens responds to critics

Chip Berlet cberlet at igc.org
Fri Sep 28 13:04:36 PDT 2001

Hi,

OK, perhaps I did miss your point. I re-read it and fixated on this paragraph:

= = =

"If finanzcapital is the driver behind exploitation [ a normative, ethical term if ever there was one] and taking a look at what scholars and critics from Islamic cultures have written will help deepen that criticism then we ought to take a look at the stuff. This is no way to excuse or justify the atrocity, but we need to make every effort to understand any possible motivations for what took place."

So I figure that somehow you think that by studying "mainstream" or "critical" Islamic political economy we will somehow better "understand any possible motivations for what took place."

OK, I don't get it.

How will this help understand what took place, if what took place is that the act was carried out by a relatively small network of totalitarian Islamic supremacists who hate Saudi Arabia because it is too reformist?

Honestly missing your point...

-Chip

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ian Murray" <seamus2001 at home.com> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Friday, September 28, 2001 3:03 PM Subject: Re: Sociology and Explanations (Re: Hitchens responds to critics