What Do You Support? (The King or The ToothFairy)

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 28 20:23:05 PDT 2001

--- John Gulick <jlgulick at sfo.com> wrote:
> While I have no idea who the ALRO is and what
> slice of the Afghani people it represents, this
> article did provide a good
> deal of food for thought.

That article really woke me up. At first I thought, wow, these people are leftists but calling for a transitional governemt headed by the former King.

But then I asked myself what are the options for the Afghani people. There is little or no organized left in the country, so let's not even think in terms of a left government.

So when you look at the situation realistically (and admittedly I dont know much about Afghanistan) the King seems like one option. And it appears that he has some appeal to the Afghani people. I mean, what other options are there...realistic options, not our leftist pie-in-the-sky ideal realm. The King says that he is for setting up a democratic state, does not want to re-establish monarchy and does not really even want to be head of state. I dont know how much of that to beleive but that is what he says. And quite honestly, I think that just about anything would be better for the Afghani people than the Taliban.

My problem is how he (the King) gets into that position...namely with the help of the US and how they will use it to gain power in the region. That is my problem with the whole situation.

I will tell you that I dont think (and maybe proved wrong) that the US is going to bomb the hell out of Afghanistan. My thoughts are not due to naivete on my part or because I believe the the US government is capable of real humanitarianism. However, I think that the US can better accomplish its aims of exercising power in the region by NOT unleashing a war of total devastation. The US can use this event as a way of doing PR for humanitarianism...and gathering power in the region through a puppet govt.

Looking forward to yours and others thoughts on this matter.

Thomas

===== <<The concept of Empire is presented as a global concert

under the direction of a single conductor, a unitary power

that maintains the social peace and produces its ethical

truths. And in order to achieve these ends,the single

power is given the necessary force to conduct, when

necessary, "just wars" at the borders against

the barbarians and internally against the rebellious>> Hardt & Negri "Empire"