Agenda (was Re: ideologues)

Mina Kumar setposition at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 28 20:22:34 PDT 2001

>From: "kmart " <thoucynic at crosswinds.net>
>To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com
>Subject: Re: Agenda (was Re: ideologues)
>Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 19:14:08 -0400

> >the Taliban will fall more easily (due to the populace's
> >almost total antipathy toward them, save a few groupings of students in
>the
>
> >clerical schools) than will bin Laden
>
> These guys should smoke less Hashish. A *few* groupings of students in
>clerical
>schools?
>What labor radicals told you this? From my understanding, this picture is
>almost
>completely unrealistic.

My understanding, and I think the USGov't's understanding, since the person I heard speak was advising the NSA and Sen For Rel Committee, is that many Pashtun tribal leaders feel their authority has been overruled by the Taliban and would take the opportunity of Taliban weakness to assert themselves.

The same speaker also said that while some people in Nato or wherever think Zahir Shah is a good idea because he's Pashtun, his popularity isn't all that high and anyway the US is not disposed in that direction.