[L-I] What to do next June in Kananaskis?

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Sep 29 06:30:57 PDT 2001

LROBERTS46 at aol.com wrote:

> Labor leadership must stop being doormats for Democratic party hacks and government officials of all kinds.>

This is incoherent -- as it would be to say that Democratic Senators have to stop being Democrats. Also it takes what I call an academic/jouralistic perspective: it is a general comment from "outside" the struggle. (I know this is _not_ the position in practice of LROBERTS -- but on a maillist what counts is the theoretical perspective taken.) The question is not what "the labor leaders" should do any more than it is a question of what the secretary of state or General Whoosis should do: our opinions mean nothing to them. The question is how _we_, as participants in a (potential) mass movement should act within that movement. The position of the labor leaders is simply a fact. What should be _our_ (leftists') response to that fact.

Carrol

P.S. to LROBERTS: Why don't you make up a signature of some sort for your posts. It is awkward responding to an LROBERTS.