"Cause" vs. "Justified" (was: Re: Hitchens responds to critics)

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Sep 29 08:25:43 PDT 2001

kelley wrote:

> At 06:29 PM 9/26/01 -0500, Carrol Cox wrote:
>
> >I know what "realism" means in a dozen or so different contexts, but
> >this one is not clear to me.
> >
> >Carrol
>
> The term "Realism" is used with such frequency that it appears to defy the
> need for definition - all that needs to be known about the concept is
> encapsulated in the word. Yet closer examination a great deal of variation.

Yikes, I ask for Webster's Collegiate and you give me the _Britannica_.

For me, the fundamental sense of "realism" is that the Forms exist independently of and prior to the particulars which manifest, imitate, etc etc them.

I.E., all realists are ultimately Platonists.

Realism is a better term than idealism to contrast to historical materialism.

Now what the hell do you mean by realism in the text you through at me.

Carrol