Sociology and Explanations (Re: Hitchens responds to critics

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Sep 29 09:50:35 PDT 2001

John Gulick wrote:

> Quite frequently "terrorists" of whatever ideological persuasion are well-educated and come from the "privileged" classes -- from Russian anarchists of the late 19th Century .....the RAF.......

Interesting. I can't remember whether I have before quoted Yeats's great and vile poem, "An Irish Airman Forsees His Death":

I know that I shall meet my fate Somewhere among the clouds above; Those that I fight I do not hate, Those that I guard I do not love; My country is Kiltartan Cross, My countryment Kiltartan's poor, No likely end could bring them loss Or leave them happier than before. Nor law, nor duty bade me fight, Nor public men, nor cheering crowds, A lonely impulse of delight Drove to this tumult in the clouds; I balanced all, brought all to mind, The years to come seemed waste of breath, A waste of breath the years behind In balance with this life, this death.

One commits suicide (and takes as many as possible of those one does _not_ even hate with one) just to give drama to one's life. (If his countrymen were Kiltartan's poor why the fuck didn't he stay at home and do something?)

Yeats's certainly needed (and earned) Auden's defense, that I quoted just last Monday:

Time that is intolerant

Of the brave and innocent,

And indifferent in a week

To a beautiful physique,