Letters to the Guardian

Ken Hanly khanly at mb.sympatico.ca
Sat Sep 29 14:27:23 PDT 2001

Some letters to the Guardian of Tuesday 25 September 2001.

What if, a decade ago, the Russians had succeeded en Afghanistan? What if, as a consequence, terrorists had launched an atrocious attack on Moscow? What if Bin Laden was the prime suspect for the atrocity? Would the Russians have been justified in attacking the CIA headquarters as they (the CIA) were (then) supporting Bin Laden? Terry Pitt, Bath.

If the American (capitalist - dw) government is to offer aid (i.e. welfare subsidies - dw) to airlines in exchange for stock options, cannot Tony--as a disciple of all things American--do the same for our rail and air companies instead of behaving like a charitable foundation with our dosh (British slang for 'money')? Robert Holmes, Axbridge, Somerset. <holmes923 at aol.com>

William Shawcross (Letters, Sept. 22) may care to reflect on why it is that when Iraq fails to abide by UN resolutions, sanctions are imposed but when Israel similarly fails to abide by them, sanctions are not imposed. Mike Turner, Twickenham.

If thousands of Afghanis perish, will we hold a four-minute silence? Richard Woodward, London.