Im Anfang war die Tat

kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Sun Sep 30 02:00:00 PDT 2001

At 06:19 PM 9/29/01 -0700, Ian Murray wrote:

>============
>Speed read it in the '80's...loved his intimations/appreciations of
>the problems of mereology [parts and wholes]. His "heir" is a guy
>named David Weissman, the text is "Intuition and Ideality" a brilliant
>work.
>
>Ian

I worked with another, more obscure, heir, John Ryder who worked with Buchler when he was shuffled off to Stony Brook, a victim of a dept. war at Columbia. Ryder's a very cool prof -- Marxist, pragmatist (not any o' that nasty ol' British empiricism til later Justin!) ! He was one of those profs with unruly beard which was fun to observe for bread crumbs! heh. No, really, he was actually a good seminar prof. and the kind of guy who hung out down at the local watering hole, shooting the breeze and talking politics and philosophy with undergrads. There were a bunch like that. In fact, I got to know them before I took a few classes at their college. Most of the undergrads I've taught tell me that's quite rare these days.

I went to Syracuse and gave up going to Binghamton to work with Stephen Ross, also a disciple. Neat guy. Ask me how NOT to turn down scholarship and offend people. I think I'm glad I didn't wallow in philosophy in grad school tho. :)

Was almost tempted to flip Buchler open when Dennis was talking about needing a theory of aesthetics, as well as morality... but...time...

back to work!

kelley