Potemkin prosperity

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 30 20:33:29 PDT 2001

>Carl Remick wrote:
>
>>Please note that I said "from *at least* Reagan onward" and would
>>never argue that Carter or anyone earlier represented some
>>prelapsarian paradise. But I think of the Carter years as being the
>>last time there was any willingness at all to acknowledge that US
>>society is Fundamentally Fucked Up. Contrast Carter's "national
>>malaise" speech (which, admittedly, contributed to his getting the
>>old heave-ho from office) with Reagan's fatuous "morning in America"
>>palaver.
>
>From the American bourgeoisie's point of view it was. It may be past
>last call now, but they had a great 20-year party, didn't they?
>
>Doug

Yes, and with spectacular fireworks. In the mid-80s I worked as a corporate staff writer at the World Financial Center in Battery Park City across the street from the World Trade Center. One of my projects was to assist with an annual report that featured a cover photo of the then-new World Financial Center lit up by the lurid glare of harbor-wide fireworks shot off for the Statue of Liberty Centennial, July 4, 1986 -- a Reagan-era, triumphalist show if ever there was one. I just dug out a copy of that annual report, and it is eerie how that photo of of the World Financial Center outlined by pyrotechnic bomb bursts prefigures the horrible images of 9/11, with those huge orange explosions erupting from the World Trade Center.

Carl