Chomsky takes down Hitchens

Peter K. peterk at enteract.com
Sun Sep 30 15:06:34 PDT 2001

>Chomsky is a scholar and is going to be careful
>about guessing at "intentions". Remember, this is the
>guy who DESTROYED behaviorism..., so he is not about
>to equate action with mental states such as
>"intentionality".
>
>If this were a boxing match, I would say that Chomsky
>scored a KNOCKOUT against Hitchens. Bravo Chomsky!
>
>Thomas

First of all, when someone starts typing words in all caps, it's a bad sign in my opinion so maybe dear Thomas was in need of a breather, or a time out. Being a Chomskyite, I doubt he'll be moving in the same circles as DeLong (unless there's a list for those who've gathered their toys and gone home, so to speak) but it does say something for LBO and the list that they attract a range of people, from Chomskyites to DeLongians.

When people start annoying me, I try to force myself to stop reading their posts even though there's some weird psychological compulsion to masochistically continue to do so and even engage them.

>From my point of view, Hitchens and Chomsky are continuing
their argument over humanitarian intervention and if it were a boxing match, which it's not, Chomsky didn't score a knockout.

Is there any single comprehensive account dealing with the bombing of the Sudanese pharmaceutical plant? Hitchens mentions Seymour Hersch's New Yorker article that reported that all of the military was against it and that Clinton didn't go through the normal channels when ordering the bombing. The New York Times also reported on this aspect.