placing the palestinian struggle

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Apr 1 06:43:35 PST 2002

Naji Dahi wrote:

>Support to Israel has not been driven by the geopolitical interests of the
>US. It is driven by the strength of AIPAC. In order to break the power of
>AIPAC over US policy to the ME, you need public financing of elections in
>the US.

Everything I know about how U.S. power works internationally tells me that the U.S. marches to its own drummer, choosing policies that will sustain or enhance this country's wealth and/or power. Why in this case a domestic political lobby should take precedence over imperial interest is something that needs to be more rigorously explained than this.

Doug