rights, rights, and still more rights

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 1 12:14:58 PST 2002

>You make the following point: "so long as they and
>you will respect each other's willingness to
>politically decide your differences, including your
>differences about rights, by reference to democratic
>procedures."
>
>Seems to me that the civil rights movement expressly
>rejected this proposition and relied on an
>anti-democratic institution (the Supreme Court) to
>override the will of the people in the name or moral
>rightness.
>
>Do you reject that approach? Or reject the calim that
>the Court is anti-democratic?

The CRM took LEGAL arguments to the courts, not just moral ones. Among those were the legal principle (of footnote 4 of US v. Carolene Products) interpreting the equal protection clauseas requiriung special efforts to protect discete and insular minorities. That is a democratic, though countermajoritraian principle. That is not a contradiction: see Ely, Democracy and Distrust. Btw the CRM also betook itself to the streets in a democratic carnival of civil disobedience, quite properly too.

jks