placing the palestinian struggle

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Tue Apr 2 02:53:51 PST 2002

----- Original Message ----- From: "Yoshie Furuhashi" <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu>

Nathan wrote:

>It's not clear why the combination of the above translates into a
>policy that appears to be beneficial to only a delusional minority
>among Christian fundamentalists -- we may be very well on the brink
>of apocalypse now.

No doubt because by sheer voting numbers, the Christian millenialists have the largest voting numbers of those who take Israel seriously as a voting issue. The 700 Club probably covers Israel more closely than any non-Jewish media outlet. The neoconservatives interested in Israel on the Right have shaped policy to mobilize that voting bloc, so it is hardly surprising.

Michael Lind once described conservativism as using rich capitalists to hire Jewish operatives to mobilize Christian fundamentalists. Filter policy towards Israel through that lens and the policy looks understandable.

--- Nathan Newman