placing the palestinian struggle

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 2 10:39:56 PST 2002

>From: "Carl Remick" <carlremick at hotmail.com>
>
>>From: "Seth Ackerman" <sia at nyc.rr.com>
>>
>>Carl Remick wrote:
>>
>> > OTOH, as CBS MarketWatch notes today: "Crude futures soared above $27
>> > barrel Monday on fears of a possible disruption in Middle East oil
>>exports
>> > following heavy violence between the Israelis and Palestinians over the
>> > weekend. Crude for May delivery rose as high as $27.07 a barrel before
>> > closing at $26.88, up 57 cents on the New York Mercantile Exchange. The
>> > contract had been trading as low at $19.85 a barrel just two months ago
>>on
>> > Feb. 7."
>>
>>Please. Markets fluctuate. It has never been a goal of US foreign policy
>>be able to control the spot market price of a barrel of oil on a
>>day-to-day
>>basis.
>>
>>Seth
>
>Sorry, I didn't intend to point to mere market fluctuations but to
>highlight
>the alpha and omega of all US involvement in the Mideast: assuring
>America's access to oil. Obviously, we're subverting that strategic aim by
>letting Israel run amok. And the market isn't fluctuating right now; it's
>just plain heading higher.
>
>Carl

Here's some context from CBS MarketWatch economist Irwin Kellner today: "... close to $50 billion was injected into the economy between May and December last year, thanks to a 50-cent drop in the price of gasoline. This was one reason why the recession was so mild. But gasoline prices have jumped by nearly 30 cents a gallon since the end of January alone. This translates into a rise of more than 20 percent -- the biggest percentage increase in half a century."

http://cbs.marketwatch.com/news/story.asp?guid=%7B1627423B%2D6821%2D401B%2DBA2B%2D54965B4CF6BF%7D&siteid=mktw

Carl