Food Is, Still, Clearly Not a Human Right -

Charles Brown CharlesB at cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us
Tue Apr 2 13:33:12 PST 2002

Food Is, Still, Clearly Not a Human Right -

"Justin Schwartz" <jkschw at hotmail.com>

As a liberal (small l, not a Liberal Democrat a la NewDeal/Great Society, a liberal who supports constitutional democracy and civil liberties), I represent that remark. I oppose this and every other class system. I have never seen a persuasive argument from anyone, not you, not Marx, that liberal rights means that I am committed to the idea that some people should monopolize the means of production and exploit others. In fact, I think there is a right that workers have to control the means of production andenjoy the fruirs thereof. Is that consistent with a class system?

^^^^^^^^

CB: The liberal right that conflicts with the power of workers to control the means of production is in the U.S. Constitution represented by the Fifth Amendment "Takings Clause" by which private property may not be taken without just compensation, and elsewhere in U.S. legal principles such as the common law employment-at-will doctrine, et al. See my " For A Constitutional Amendment for A Right To A Living Wage "