rights, rights, and still more rights; majorities and majorities.

virgil tibbs sheik_of_encino at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 2 14:45:06 PST 2002

well, there is a bit of a temporal gap between the majorities you cite, and given the disenfranchisement of so many Americans the majority was even bigger for the 14th Amendment (as you would no doubt agree). I do get your point.

However, even with that said, the Court is an undemocratic institution founded on an extra-constitutional premise expounded by the Court itself. Nowhere in the Constitution is it indicated which of the three branches decides the consitutionality of the acts of government. That exists only in Marbury.

As for civil rights, there is a sense in which I agree with nathan -- the forces on the ground certainly made change possible. The idea of meaningful civil rights was percolating through the country when the Court decided Brown. However, Brown gave civil rights the legitimacy of law, which matters to the mushy middle. A cycle of justification made the Civil Rights Acts possible.