Web bugs

Marco Anglesio mpa at the-wire.com
Wed Apr 3 06:16:13 PST 2002

On Wed, 3 Apr 2002, Chris Burford wrote:

> Can anyone confirm this alarming report I saw on a quiet professional yahoo
> email list.

Yes. The hue and cry is actually rather tardy. I believe that web bugs, although not under that name, have been in use since 1997-98 or thereabouts. IMHO, it's not a big deal, merely a consequence of public use of a public web.

> It seems to show how the public domain is being fast colonised by giant
> corporations controlling data, all on a voluntary commercial basis
> respecting the individual bourgeois democratic rights of man, and woman.

Bear in mind that they are providing you a service, hosting or content or what have you, for free. The piper must be paid at some point.

Marco