rights, rights, and still more rights

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 3 07:20:21 PST 2002

>Justin:
> You wrote "...the liberal democracy that we have..."
>Please enlighten me as to the difference between a
>liberal democracy and a neoliberal plutocracy. I hope
>you're convincing. I'm really tired of the awareness
>that what we live under is a neoliberal plutocracy
>that has long been becoming ever more illiberal
>(though not more plutocratic, which would be
>mathematically impossible).
>
>Shane Mage
>
>"Thunderbolt steers all things."

I'm not naive. But we do have:

(1) Semi-competitive elections with freedom of association, not an officially one party state.

(2) Universal suffrage.

(4) Extensive civil and political liberties (quite real).

You cannot surpass me in the depth of my cynicism about the extent to which the rich rule things. Nonetheless the liberal democracy we have was worth fighting and dying for to get, and is worth fighting to keep. Ask people who have tolive without it. Don't _you_ be naive.

jks

_________________________________________________________________ MSN Photos is the easiest way to share and print your photos: http://photos.msn.com/support/worldwide.aspx