rights, rights, and still more rights; majorities and majorities.

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 3 09:59:45 PST 2002

>Yes, but we are talking about rights here, and rights
>means Constitutional principles, which entails
>judicial review.

No. Not all legal rights are constitutional. Your right to to experience racial discrimination at work is statutory. Not all constitutional right involve countermajoritarian review. The state action reviewed in a police brutality case is that of the cops, not the majority.

>Given that Madison was on the losing side of that
>case, I do not see why you would conclude that.

A terrible argument. Madison didn't take a position (in the case) on judicial review, and if he had, you can't assume that he wasa ctinga s anything but an advocate. His considered views are in the Federalist. There he and Hamilton seem to indicate that they believe in JR.
>"In so far"....look at the Supremes now and tell me if
>your point still applies. Just look at the ADA and
>voting rights cases, wait uintil the affirmative
>action cases get there and tell me in they are
>"preventing the disenfrancisement of minorities" Look
>at Bowers, look at Adarand, look at the death penalty.
> If the court is a democratic insitution only when it
>services a robust democracy, then it ain't democratic
>now.

If your point is that JR may be democratic or not deoending, I agree. It wasn't in the Lochner era, then it was under theWarren couty,a nd now it's mostly not. My point was that it wasn't per se undemocratic.

>It may have inspired white activism, but Marshall and
>other African Americans had been fighting the fight
>for some time on the ground.

In the courts. The activism I was thinking of what not exactly white--things like the Montgomery Bus Boycott.

I agree with you though

>However, Brown gave civil rights
> > the
> > >legitimacy of law, which matters to the mushy
> > middle.
> >
> > And matters to making it effective!
>
>that the current court would undo.

Some and some.