placing the palestinian struggle

Micheal Ellis onyxmirr at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 3 12:59:46 PST 2002

>In exchange for Syria supporting the anti-Iraq coalition, it was relieved of
>billions owed in foreign debt and its control of Lebanon was essentially
>rubberstamped by the Bush administration.

sure and arafat is corrupt.....but whose purpose does it serve to jump on (as in bandwagon) Israels enemies? does doing so just perpetuate the endless cycle of apologetics? evry thing in the pro zionist media and the U.S media which is overwhelmingly predominant is anti arab in the realm of blaming the victims etc. sure criticize the rubber stamping. otherwise it's like the U.S. left criticising germany after WWI when the predominant view was that the germans were baby killers. the enemy here is apologetics and propaganda.

>Why is Syria's occupation of Lebanon any more legitimate than Israel's
>occupation of the West Bank. When I travelled in Syria, I met Palestinians
>there who were quite bitter about the second-class treatment they suffered
>under the Assads.
>
>While US support for Israel is more extensive than the occasional dealings
>with Syria, US support for Egypt -- running a dictatorship that has smashed
>any democratic opposition -- and for Saudi Arabia through military alliances
>are both extensive. Why not mass mobilization to cutoff the billions in aid
>to Egypt?

sure...saudia arabia too. i didn't think you were talking about SA and egypt because i haven't heard anyone from the left not condem those regimes but as far as the zionist line goes it's the victims fault that the sauds are so corrupt when the only thing preventing the sauds from being overthrown is support from the west. the victims here are the populations of SA, Egypt, etc. to me they are holding up their end. the population of Isreal are victims of U.S. support as well but it's a matter of the israeli population having the power to stop it's government and that isn't quite the case with the populations of SA and Egypt. so.....

>I no doubt agree that as US activists, we have more leverage over Israel, but
>I was addressing the language used to condemn Israel, such as the comparisons
>to Hitler and Khmer Rouge that pop up. Israel's occupation is terrible and
>should be condemned for its injustice, but a lot of discussion of Israel on
>the left goes beyond that to holding it up as a uniquely rogue
>anti-democratic state in the region.

i haven't heard any comparisons to the kmer rouge...as far as language if zionists and sharon don't want to be compared to the Nazis then perhaps the shouldn't follow Goebbals propaganda model so closely.... if sharon wants of compare arafat to bin laden then these things kind of become inevitable.

>The fact remains that a large portion of the population of Israel are Jews
>who were driven out of Yemen, Iraq, Morocco and other Arab states, so the
>injustices highlighted about Israel are mirrored by its neighbors. When
>Israel is referred to just as a "settler state", the Mizrachi/Sephardic Jews
>native to the region are made as invisible and their indigenous rights in the
>region are as delegitimized as many on the left rightly accuse Israel of
>delegitimizing Palestinian rights.

yeah but isn't israel like 45% european jews and half of the rest are immigrants from asia and russia? (i'm asking because im not quite sure) if you take the population of indigenious jews and portion land out with respect to the palestinian population Isral would be much much much smaller and no one's suggesting that be done. it's not so much as indigenious population as it is european support like origionally czech etc and the zionist emphasis on immigration and settling and the fact that the sephardic jews aren't proprtionately represented in the knesset. so blame the zionists for that. so it is a settler state, the settlers overwhelmingly, disproportionately control the government. the puerto rican population around miami etc. isn't adequatley represented within the cuban lobby, whos fault is that?

~M.E.