We will not win this war -- Israeli military historian

Grant Lee grantlee at iinet.net.au
Wed Apr 3 18:56:02 PST 2002

" Professor Martin van Creveld, of the Hebrew University of Jerusalem is Israel's most prominent military historian. In this interview with Jennifer Byrne he claims that despite the recent increase in Israel's military operations, the huge Israeli defence forces will inevitably lose to the Palestinians. "

http://www.abc.net.au/foreign/stories/s511530.htm

An excerpt ...

Van Creveld: "The same thing has happened to the Israeli army as happened to all the rest that have tried over the last sixty years. Basically it's always a question of the relationship of forces. If you are strong, and you are fighting the weak for any period of time, you are going to become weak yourself. If you behave like a coward then you are going to become cowardly - it's only a question of time. The same happened to the British when they were here... the same happened to the French in Nigeria [sic] ... the same happened to the Americans in Vietnam... the same happened to the Soviets in Afghanistan... the same happened to so many people that I can't even count them."