Lots and lots of rights

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 4 07:52:43 PST 2002

>What a sec... I'm trying to come up with names of "great" philosophers
>produced under liberal democracies and am coming up with a grand total of
>zero. Maybe I'm suffering from amnesia. :) Or maybe it has to so with
>liberal democracy being a relatively late arrival on the historical center.

Pierce, James, Dewey, Quine, Rawls, Kuhn, Davidson, Wilfrid Sellars, Wittgenstein, Russell, Moore, James Mill, Jeremy Bentham, J.S. Mill, Jean Paul Sartre, Maurice Merleau Ponty, Jacques Derrida, Michel Foucault . . . .

OK?

>If anyone nominates Richard Rorty as a great philosopher I will stick my
>head out the window and scream in horror.

Even Dick wouldn't say he's a great philosopher. He doesn't pretend to be nore than a ex-professional and a creative popularizer. He often drives me crazy, but don't say bad things about him, hew as my teacher.