incremental health care reform

A.J. Peticolas petico at io.com
Thu Apr 4 11:23:33 PST 2002

> > There seems to be a lack of proposals that provide a
> >bridge from incrementalism (tho SCHIP is a pretty
> >good-sized increment, I think) to full-blown national
> >health insurance.....But what about something
> >short of universal but much better than what we
> >have now? Have you some ideas in this vein?
Didn't have time to respond to this when posted, but the best thing I have seen is at http://www.acponline.org/hpp/seq_plan01.pdf -- it is a draft proposal by the American College of Physicians - American Society of Internal Medicine from Nov. 2001. They put out an initial draft about a year earlier and asked for individual comments; this new draft is far superior and now they asked for comments from other medical organizations. I believe the final draft is anticipated this month and assume there will be press coverage at that time.

Regards,

Anne Peticolas <occasional lurker>

Austin, TExas Below is outline of plan as of November: By September 30, 2002, Congress would enact a sense of the congress resolution, which would establish the goal of making affordable health insurance available to all Americans by January 1, 2009. . . .

By Sept 30, 2003, Congress would enact legislation to make affordable coverage available to all Americans with incomes up to 200% of federal poverty level . . . by expanding Medicaid to all Americans with incomes up to 100% of federal poverty level, and creating a premium subsidy program to enable those with incomes between 100 and 200% of poverty to buy coverage through CHIP, Medicaid, or from private insurers. . . .effective date . . . Jan 1, 2005.

By Sept 30, 2004, Congress would enact legislation to make affordable coverage available to all remaining uninsured Americans . . . creating an income-related premium subsidy program . . . through qualified health plans offered and approved by purchasing groups . . . To maintain a role for employer-based coverage, the premium subsidy could be applied to the employee's share of employer-provided coverage, and small businesses would ahve the option of obtaining coverage from a purchasing group. . . . effective date Jan 1, 2007.

Bky Sept 30, 2005, Congress wd enact legislation to discourage individuals from voluntarily choosing not to obtain covereage . . . effective date Jan 1, 2009.

It's a 28-page, very thoughtful, proposal, which I can recommend.