Tom the Exterminator on the Middle East

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Apr 4 15:30:29 PST 2002

Nathan Newman wrote:

>Naji Dahi wrote:
>
>>It is very simple, just follow the money. From opensecrets.org, it seems
>>that pro-israel pacs contribute the largest share from the ideological pacs
>>category in Delay's 2000 re-election campaign.
>>Pro-Israel $14,200
>
>-So you can buy DeLay's opinion for just $14,200? Couldn't the Saudis
>outbid?
>-Doug
>
>And if you buy the money argument, the $64,500 Delay received from the
>energy industry would be more decisive.

On the way down to the WBAI studio this afternoon, I read Nicholas Lemann's piece in the April 1 New Yorker about the Bush admin's plans for world domination. At the top of the agenda - redrawing the political map of the Middle East. And, as Norman Finkelstein pointed out when I interviewed him, the Palestinians have long been seen as the most unruly and difficult population in the Middle East, and subduing them is crucial to the agenda. So what Israel is doing right now is exactly what Bush & Co. want them to do. Next, says Norman, is Hezbollah. Then Iraq, then....

AIPAC has very little to do with this, and the right-wing version American imperialism has everything to do with it.

Given Bush's ties to the oil business - how do you say that in Texan? awl bidniz? - it's amazing to me that anyone could think that a few thousand in political contributions could sway things in Israel's direction if U.S. interests weren't already there.

Doug