Tom the Exterminator on the Middle East

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Apr 4 15:53:14 PST 2002

Carrol Cox wrote:

>Doug Henwood wrote:
>>
>> [no date, but it must have been yesterday - so if U.S. support of
>> Israel is all about the strength of the Israeli lobby, how do you
>> explain a right-wing cretin like DeLay's vigorous support? his
>> earlier employment as an exterminator?]
>>

>I have made it clear that I _don't_ think U.S. support can be so
>ascribed. But I don't follow the logic of this? What a "a right-wing
>cretin" does seems not to be evidence for anything in particular.

DeLay is a classic right-wing petit bourgeois from Texas, a type that's usually America Firster and Bester. Provincial and narrow. Why would someone from a formation like that undertake an expensive and risky subsidy of Israel if it weren't in line with their generally aggressive stance toward the outside world?

Clinton & the Third Wayers are the real parties of Empire; it looks like Bush is for the American Empire, which is a different thing. I wonder if he can get away with it.

Doug