RES: Lots and lots of rights?

Alexandre Fenelon afenelon at zaz.com.br
Thu Apr 4 17:03:51 PST 2002

---

Russians and ex-Sovs teld to be widly more philosophical than Americans (not to mention infinitely better-read). I've never come across a better-educated bunch of people in my life, or a group more given to introspection, espacially people who were socialized in the Union. Of course, in the pre-Glasnost SU, your access to certain segments of literature was restricted to people who could show they had a need to have access to them; if you were writing a dissertation on psychology, say, you could get access to the Lenin Library's collection of Freud. And being high up in the CPSU would get you access to material; a friend's mother managed a collective farm, and she could get her hands on stuff.

Cjris Doss The Russia Journal

-It?s interesting to read this text from Lenin, who is critical of those kinds -of restriction to access books in public libraries (and mentions the US -as an example to be followed in those questions).

http://www.marxists.org/archive/lenin/works/1913/jul/18.htm