McReynolds on A20 controversies

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Fri Apr 5 08:04:24 PST 2002

----- Original Message ----- From: "Doug Henwood" <dhenwood at panix.com> -...he's basically agreeing with you, though he's a bit less given to -blunt statements of position than you are, Chuck. I know from having -talked to him that he's no fan of sectarian parties.

Absolutely-- anything David says I take seriously as an honest view of the factual situation.

I've been embroiled on the National Lawyers Guild board with debates over the NLG's endorsement of the ANSWER rally, since the New York chapter of the NLG specifically voted against endorsing ANSWER events because of various aspects of the IAC's politics and practice.

I disagree with David on his "can't we all get along" position on ANSWER, since almost the whole democratic left is together in the A20 coalition and giving ANSWER status just perpetuates their undermining of real unity and the promotion of politics that alienates large numbers of people from antiwar positions.

-- Nathan Newman