Food, money, Justin

Ian Murray seamus2001 at attbi.com
Fri Apr 5 09:49:22 PST 2002

----- Original Message ----- From: "dlawbailey" <dlawbailey at netzero.net> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Thursday, April 04, 2002 6:03 PM Subject: Food, money, Justin

> To the notion of property rights as a priori, Justin writes:
>
> "No such right exists outside the law. Property is a creature of the law, an
> entitlement purely enforceable by the state. Property is what the state lets
> you have because it is beneficial to allow you to have and use it. If, as I
> believe, it is not beneficial to society to allow individuals to privately
> own productive assets, it violates no non-legal right to take that property
> away."

The human mind is a productive asset. Lots of folks on this list make their living using PC's, digital camera's and the like that they can use in their home or at a McDonald's or a public library which affords them the ability to earn a moderate, or in some cases very comfortable, standards of living. How are you going to deal with the self ownership issues and the distinction between a consumer item and a productive asset? Will we own our spleens and stem cells in a Schweickartian world? Or does the human body become a ward of the State in the manner that parts of it are now in the US?

Ian