Krugman, tax-loving traitor, fails to applaud

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Apr 5 12:12:10 PST 2002

New York Post - April 5, 2002

Timesman disses Dubya

PAUL Krugman, the Princeton economics professor who writes an op-ed column for the New York Times, didn't make any new friends at the annual Gridiron Club dinner when he grumpily refused to applaud President Bush, Vice President Cheney, or the uniformed military commanders at the white-tie event. "He stuck out like a sore thumb," one witness told online newswire CNSNews.com, especially when everyone but Krugman rose to give the president a standing ovation at the end of his speech. It was noticed that Krugman, a zealot for higher taxes, applauded Sen. Tom Daschle and other Democrats. A senior White House official complained that Krugman's behavior was contrary to the Gridiron's non-partisan, collegial spirit, and said if Krugman and his ilk have "that much disdain for the people they cover, then don't go to the dinner." Krugman told the Web site: "I didn't think of myself being on show . . . This is the thought police. Next they'll say there was something wrong with the expression on my face. This is ridiculous."