indymedia-copvcia

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Apr 5 12:30:22 PST 2002

Doug Henwood wrote:

> C P wrote:
>
> >Some people were posting complaints on Indymedia that Chip Berlet
> >was a shadowy figure behind the decision to not let him on KPFA.
> >How much of what he has on his web site is true at all?
> >I know people who worked at the NSA who have scary stories.
>
> What is this supposed to mean? How much who has on which website is
> true - Chip & PRA?
>
> I don't know anything about Mike Ruppert, but someone who writes
> something like this
> <http://www.indymedia.org/front.php3?article_id=164591&group=webcast>:
>
> >Instead, Pacifica in general, and KPFA in particular, is
> >demonstrating repressive tactics worthy of the Gestapo
>
> desperately needs to visit planet earth.

Agreed. Did someone already point out that an editor's job is to edit. Were I a station manager or journal editor I would no more print conspiracy theories re 9/11 than I would print defenses of Velikovsky or stories on Elvis sightings. There is so much important to report and comment on, it would simply be a violtation of editorial responsibility to print elvis sightings.

These endless arguments re supposedly hidden facts are becoming a serious barrier to building an anti-war or Palestinian-support movement. Too many good people are wasting their time and trying to persuade others to waste their time.

If I were going to invent a conspiracy theory, I would suggest that the CIA did it in order to drive the left crazy.

Carrol

Carrol