Oodles and oodles of rights

Charles Brown CharlesB at cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us
Fri Apr 5 13:04:19 PST 2002

Oodles and oodles of rights ChrisD(RJ)" <chrisd at russiajournal.com>

^^^^^^^

I say:

I wasn't objecting to the disparagement of Soviet philosophy (making some exceptions for the 20s), but to the good philosophy requires democracy assertion. Clearly, it can't survive totalitarianism (once again, making some exceptions for Heidegger's writings during the 30s and early 40s, some of which I happen to think are pretty damn good, AND NO I DON'T WANT TO GET INTO A 'DO HEIDEGGER'S POLITICS INVALIDATE HIS PHILOSOPHY? conversation). But political democracy and relative openness of intellectual discourse are different things, it seems to me.

^^^^^^^^

CB: Don't you know that around here the question you don't want asked gets asked first ? :>)

So, what does Heidegger give us that we didn't already have ? ( You don't have to mention his politics)