Not Anti-Semetic

Greg Schofield g_schofield at dingoblue.net.au
Sat Apr 6 00:21:17 PST 2002

Max I well see your point about this but I think in this case it is reading too much into what appears a fairly well motivated agitation.

How many people today are aware of the old anti-semetic self-justification of "jews" as Christ killers and who would actually care all that much. Times have changed (anti-semites persist but the quasi-intellectual justification of Christ killers probably only survives in America to any great degree, if even there).

In Scotland, amongst the Episcopal Church congregation it is my guess that the old accusation is not in any danger of being revived. Besides which, going on the description, the IDF is being consciously associated with the Romans which seems fair enough (whereas you read the same description as a strong reference to what is I believe a fairly arcane legacy of anti-semiticism).

Max I could not recall exactly your previous arguments, I would just point out that art has to use recognisable symbols and these are always open to diverse interpretations. Where I find some real anti-semticism is often in the left when Zionism is being talked about in a way that if you substituted jews and judaism the no real change in sense would occur. This is where my hackles rise, and where I believe real anti-semiticism lurks just beneath the surface.

In the present circumstances, I believe we are oblidged in no uncertain terms to rest the reasons for a Palestinean state on two different foundations. The first because the Palestinean people deserve a state as a solution to their exile and occupation, second it is the only long term basis for Isreali normalisation, where Isreal ceases to be an outpost and becomes a normal state within the Middle East.

I would argue with any Zionist on this second issue, if they truely want to preserve Isreal, its future depends on a viable and prosperous state of Palestine. I believe this is easily demonstrated and is, despite all the ideology involved, a fairly plain historical fact which requires no ideological justification at all.

Greg

--- Message Received --- From: "Max Sawicky" <sawicky at bellatlantic.net> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 16:48:50 -0500 Subject: RE: Not Anti-Semetic

> Scottish clergyman defends mural of Jesus flanked by IDF
> By The Associated Press
>
> LONDON  A Scottish clergyman said today that a church
> mural showing a crucified Jesus flanked by both Roman
> soldiers and modern-day Israeli troops was not
> anti-Semitic, but designed to make his congregation
> think about current conflicts. . . .

Yes anti-semitic.

There is no separating the death of Jesus from the ancient accusation of Jewish guilt. The implied symmetry of the Romans to the IDF is just icing on the cake. This is EXACTLY the sort of anti-semitism, as opposed to anti-zionist/anti-Israel policy critique that I, for one, object to. Anybody is entitled to a mistake of this type, IMO. Defending it would be another matter.

mbs

Greg Schofield Perth Australia g_schofield at dingoblue.net.au ________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________ Modular And Integrated Design - programing power for all