Friends of the Earth Middle East calls on the Israeli Government to supply medicines, water and food to Palestinian towns, villages and refugee camps under siege

Bryan Atinsky bryan at indymedia.org.il
Sat Apr 6 06:45:27 PST 2002

Hey all,

My fiance is coordinator of the water project for Friends of the Earth Middle East, which is the only environmental organization in the Middle East that works on a regional and not merely state level. She just completed this press release and I said I would help get it published on the international scene. So if any of you could get it published in any journals, or get it into the proper hands which would help it finds its way to publication, I would be most thankful.

Best wishes,

Bryan

FoEME Press Release:

Friends of the Earth Middle East calls on the Israeli Government to supply medicines, water and food to Palestinian towns, villages and refugee camps under siege (FoEME, 06/04/02).

Infrastructure providing water and electricity to hundreds of thousands of Palestinian civilians has been severely damaged under this latest military action. Civilians are suffering from a severe shortage of water. The sick and injured have had no access to medical care and the piling up of garbage risks the outbreak of an epidemic. Additionally, food is in short supply, and in many cases, even when the curfew is lifted for a few hours, nearby stores are out of food to sell.

FoEME calls for the immediate withdrawal of Israeli forces from all Palestinian autonomous areas, and for a lifting of the siege imposed on the movement of Palestinian civilians, which has been in place for the last 18 months. We call upon the Israeli Military to send water-tankers immediately to supply water to disconnected communities, to allow ambulances to operate freely, to deliver food to stores and to repair the damage caused to the water networks and other infrastructure. Further, we call on the Israeli forces to cease in their use of civilians as shields for their military actions. Human rights must be respected under all circumstances.

Friends of the Earth Middle East (FoEME), is a regional environmental organization of Jordanians, Israelis and Palestinians working together to promote sustainable development and peace building through environmental awareness. Visit our website at: http://www.foeme.org