Good philosophy

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 6 08:49:34 PST 2002

>There is an old, old story. A woman steps into a doctors office, say
>"Doctor I get these horribly shooting pains in my..."
>

>The doctor interrupts. "Madame, I'm sorry, I can't help you. I'm a
>Doctor of Philosophy".
>

>Terribly embarrassed, the woman turns to leave. But she is curious, and
>can't help asking "Doctor, pardon me, but what kind of disease is
>philosophy?".
>
>You are saying that to this question "What kind of disease is
>philosophy?"), there is no short answer?

Right.

Wittgenstein thought philosophy was a disease. So did Marx and Heidegger, btw.

I'm always telling my kids I'm not that kind of doctor, I'm a metaphysician.

Another joke: the young lady brings her fiance, the philosophy PhD, home to meet the parents. Mother takes the girl aside and whispers, "By you he's a doctor, and by me he's a doctor, but by the doctors is he a doctor?"

jks