Marxism aims to abolish the state and liberalism does not ( was Food ...)

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 6 15:38:20 PST 2002

> > Pragmatism and Marxism are twin children of Hegel. I'm planning a paper
>on
> > this for a panel in honor of Sidney Hook's early pragmatic Marxsima t
>the Am
> > Phil Assn meetings at Christmas.

>Whoah, I thought Pierce deplored H even more than he quibbled with K. Are
>you going to mention his foibles with various New
>England apothecaries?

I was thinking of Dewey, who started out as a Hegelian. Also Schiller. (FCS), the Englsih prag, influenced by British Hegelianism). Quinean neopragmatism takes off from Neurath, the Marxist log pos; Quine uses Neurath's boat as the epigraph for Word and Object. Wilfrid Sellars credits his basic insights to reading Engels in the 30s.

>Yes I know the prags. were more numerous than P. but I thought they
>couldn't stand Royce etc. Didn't Bruce Kuklick write a
>book on this a while back? Or has there been a big-time reappraisal?

Yeah, there always is. Read Menard on the prags yet? Good book. When I have more to say on this, I'll post it.

jks