Sartre is a footnote to Heidegger?

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 6 15:58:33 PST 2002

>I remember reading an anecdote of somebody seeing a copy of Sartre's
>Being and Nothingness on Heidegger's desk and asking him what he thought
>of it. The one-word reply 'dreck' which I think means 'shit'.

Das heisst recht, it does. Die alte dreck is what Marx called justice and rights in CGP, the old shit.

>Though I've often wanted to quote it (against H as much as against JPS),
>I've never found its source again. If any of you phenomenologists out
>there can help me...

I'm not a Heideggerian scholar, but I recall from several places he thought ill of Sartre. I like some of JPS, think the world of his early piece The Transcendence of the Ego, but he's not a patch on H as a philosopher. H is the real thing, one of the giants. JPS is important, clever, occasionally deep, usually interesting, but we are talking about a trout stream in comparison to the Pacific ocean here. Nothing wrong with a trout stream, and you can get good fish out of it, but things have to be taken in their proper perspective.

jks