Chomsky on Palestine

Peter K. peterk at enteract.com
Sun Apr 7 11:23:57 PDT 2002

Carrol:
>experience. Chomsky has since he began to write on Vietnam consistently
>identified one fundamental feature of ideology in the U.S.: The United
>States _never_ intends evil, and that arguments that suggest as much are
>simply not legitimate arguments. Note: _No_ one is apt to admit to

This is complete nonsense. First off, you sound like Shrub with your talk of "evil." One can tell just from looking at popular culture that people accept the idea that the U.S. can act like a rogue state. One of the main points I got from Chomsky was the seemingly-obvious fact the for whatever reason the culture has a large amount of distraction so that the masses won't think about politics let alone foreign policy.

I'm wondering if Chomsky has made the analogy of the Bush and Sharon (US/Israel) being alike and the Palestinians and Al Queda being alike. The fact of the matter is that the U.S. isn't occupying Afghanistan and the U.S. has a secular/pluralist state while Israel is an occupying country that is based on fundamentalist ideas. Likewise, not all Palestinians are anti-modernist like Al Queda or the Taliban.

Peter