Sartre is a footnote to Heidegger?

Dennis Robert Redmond dredmond at efn.org
Sun Apr 7 16:37:51 PDT 2002

On Sat, 6 Apr 2002, Justin Schwartz wrote:

> the real thing, one of the giants. JPS is important, clever, occasionally
> deep, usually interesting, but we are talking about a trout stream in
> comparison to the Pacific ocean here.

Profundity is never where (or what) the total system advertises it as being. Sartre's, how shall we say, Cartesian superficiality is deeper than the deepest deconcealment of the fundamental ontologists, in the same way that the thinnest of microchips contains macrocosms of information. Certain Sartrean mediations, like the practico-inert, the gaze, seriality, etc., have become the narrative bedrock of contemporary cultural theory -- so omnipresent, we take them for granted, though they're anything but ordinary.

-- Dennis