Heidegger/Russell

James Heartfield Jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk
Mon Apr 8 06:14:49 PDT 2002

"Poor woman. What a sucker. He was wretch. So was Russell, btw, but far more charming and entertaining. Quine was also a jerk, a real hollow man, ever try to read his autobiography? A real behaviorist nightmare. I went there and I wrote this. No inner life at all. Skinner's autobiography, by contrast, is fascinating, there was in interesting guy, rather odd, tried to raise his daughter in a Skinner box. James and Dewey were wonderful people, by contrast, and by all accounts so is John Rawls."

Yes, Arendt was a sucker. I thought it was particularly shocking that she blamed Elfride Heidegger for keeping her apart from Martin H when it was obviously E that told MH to get back in touch with Hannah Arendt to save them from denazification. I think there is a reason that Arendt could never see through Heidegger, and that is that she remained intellectually dependent on him, long after she had established her independent reputation. It is particularly galling to read him dismissing her On Totalitarianism out of hand, but then for the most part it takes its central premise from Heidegger.

Was Russell a shit? I think his politics were certainly reactionary in the early years (like advocating the use of the atomic bomb against the USSR), if somewhat archly liberal (to 'save the system' from its critics, like Keynes). But I've often thought that the personal case against Russell was not so strong, and mostly made up by jealous relatives taking advantage of the contemporary appetite for anti-biography.

Justin did not mention Ayer, who really was lacking an inner-life, to judge by the recent biog by Ben Rogers.

For analytical Justin, can I recommend Robin Collingwood's Autobiography as one of the more humane of philosophers, and a Hegelian to boot. -- James Heartfield The 'Death of the Subject' Explained is available at GBP11.00, plus GBP1.00 p&p from Publications, audacity.org, 8 College Close, Hackney, London, E9 6ER. Make cheques payable to 'Audacity Ltd'