Heidegger

ChrisD(RJ) chrisd at russiajournal.com
Mon Apr 8 08:28:03 PDT 2002

Poor woman. What a sucker. He was wretch. So was Russell, btw, but far more charming and entertaining. Quine was also a jerk, a real hollow man, ever try to read his autobiography? A real behaviorist nightmare. I went there and I wrote this. No inner life at all. Skinner's autobiography, by contrast, is fascinating, there was in interesting guy, rather odd, tried to

raise his daughter in a Skinner box. James and Dewey were wonderful people, by contrast, and by all accounts so is John Rawls.

jks -------------------- 'He was wretch'? You're losing control of your articles, Justin. Maybe you're becoming Russian? :)

By all accounts, Heidegger possessed a lot of charisma. His students, at any rate, seem to have been magnetized. Arendt wrote about, while she was still in Gymnasium, rumors were spreading about "a hidden king" teaching philosophy in a way that was actually relevant -- and this was before H had published anything other than his dissertation.

I think there was something slightly sado-masochistic in the Arendt-Heidegger relationship. She was just ecstatic when H finally came grovelling to her in 1949.

While we're on the subject of famous dickhead intellectuals, Marx was kind of a creep. And Arendt called Adorno the most despicable person she had ever met in her life. When she first met him, she immediately after told her then-husband Gunter Stern, "Der kommt uns nicht zu Hause!" "That one's not stepping foot in our house!"

Chris Doss The Russia Journal