Chomsky on Palestine

Max Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Mon Apr 8 13:04:42 PDT 2002

Any way that Moore presented himself would be an affectation, since he is a public figure. There's no reason to hold him to a different standard on this count than any other politician.

You're right about the w.c. stereotype, though I'm not sure about being overweight as an affectation. I try to look thin but have yet to convince anyone of the truth of that.

I suspect ordinary folks appreciate the informality of Moore's appearance. It's possible to overdo anything. I went to a strike meeting once where a friend of mine was the speaker. He wore a suit that I had never seen him in before. For that moment, it was the right thing to do -- a show of respect for his audience (Cuban and Puerto Rican factory workers).

More important I think, even though I agree with most of his politics, is that he writes too much bullshit, even for an agitator. There's enough ammunition based on accurate assertions without making stuff up.

mbs