Chomsky on Palestine

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 8 13:43:21 PDT 2002

>From: "Max Sawicky" <sawicky at bellatlantic.net>
>
>I suspect ordinary folks appreciate the informality
>of Moore's appearance. It's possible to overdo
>anything. I went to a strike meeting once where
>a friend of mine was the speaker. He wore a
>suit that I had never seen him in before. For that
>moment, it was the right thing to do -- a show of
>respect for his audience (Cuban and Puerto
>Rican factory workers).

I loathe the casual look but have pretty much conceded that this is still another of History's Great Issues that I'm on the losing side of. To me, the dot-commers were as pestilential in their influence on office dress codes as they were in squandering gazillions in investment capital. What bothers me about casual wear in so many instances is the contempt it signals toward other people. So, I'll continue fighting my rearguard action at work and -- while forced to give up suits and "regular" (i.e., four-in-hand) neckties -- will still cling to my sport jackets and bow ties (the narrow, Archibald Cox type, not that dorky butterfly kind).

Carl