steeling elections

Bradford DeLong jbdelong at uclink.berkeley.edu
Mon Apr 8 14:56:01 PDT 2002

>It's nice to imagine another world, where we protect workers, not
>their jobs. If we had a good system of income support, retraining,
>job placement and job creation, we wouldn't have to disemploy
>foreign workers to fight what's probably a losing battle to save
>jobs here, Sweden has long had such an active labor market policy,
>as it's called. Workers wouldn't have to fear innovation if they
>knew they wouldn't end up on the sidewalk. But that's not the way
>the world works these days. It's all about market solutions - except
>when George W. Bush is cruising for votes.
>
>DOUG HENWOOD

Now this alternative world was the world that Bob Reich wanted the Clinton Administration to make--and that had very good prospects of being realized before the Gingrich Revolution. Money for active labor market policies once the budgetary picture improved was supposed to be Clinton social democracy job 3--after health care and real welfare recipient training.

<sarcasm>Yet another example of not a dime's worth of difference between Democrats and Republicans... </sarcasm>

Brad DeLong