Moore's representation of the working class

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Apr 9 07:42:17 PDT 2002

Without focusing on any particular poster, may I remark that references to "the working class" in this thread regularly give a rather narrow image of who or what "the working class" is. A huge majority of the working class are _not_ blue-collar workers. What about, for example, one huge sector of workers: female tellers at banks, etc.? I can't think of a single mode of dress that is not standard for some large sector of the working class. Pick your clothes by throwing darts at a board on which hang every article of clothing sold in the U.S. and you will be dressed working class. It's impossible _not_ to dress working class.

Carrol