Pass it on: Help Soweto protesters in their fight for dignity and justice

Patrick Bond pbond at wn.apc.org
Tue Apr 9 10:02:36 PDT 2002

An update, for allies of the struggle for social justice in South Africa:

Last night, well-known Soweto activist Trevor Ngwane and 49 other progressive community/labour activists were involuntarily moved to one of apartheid South Africa's most notorious prisons, Diepkloof, to sit another week while their home addresses are being confirmed by the lethargic Johannesburg courts. The state appears intent on maximising the persecution of the Soweto Electricity Crisis Committee, notwithstanding * growing concern that the justice system is being abused for political purposes by the ruling party, and * growing local and international delegitimisation of the host city for the August-September 2002 World Summit on Sustainable Development.

The Soweto comrades are merely asking that the African National Congress-ruled municipality keep its campaign promises of free basic ("lifeline") services and, in the process, end the evictions, water/electricity cut-offs and prosecutions of poor people whose only crime is that they cannot afford water and electricity that are being inexorably privatised. They arrived to protest nonviolently on Saturday, and were met with gunfire (live rounds) that wounded two protesters.

Below please find: * letter from Anti-Privatisation Forum treasurer; * email addresses for letters to the authorities (please be firm and polite in demanding the 50 protesters' release!); * today's press reports (from the big-business media); * the Anti-Privatisation Forum's latest leaflet.

For more information, stay tuned to http://southafrica.indymedia.org

Trevor and the 49 other comrades will welcome your support, and their organisations will welcome you to Johannesburg in late August when a people's summit will unveil the hypocrisies of neoliberal "sustainable development" in the allegedly-liberated South Africa.

***

From: "Florencia Belvedere" <MFB at case.org.za Sent: Tuesday, April 09, 2002 2:31 PM Subject: How people can help

Dear all,

Thanks for your support of the SECC comrades. The APF and the SECC are currently exploring the possibility of bringing a High Court interdict to appeal the 7-day extension. Counsel that we have consulted are also concerned about the bail hearing coming up on April 16th, as they are concerned that the state might try to pull all kinds of technicalities to deny comrades bail.

There is likely to be a drawn out legal case to follow and therefore we will need financial assistance of whatever kind or sort. We have some legal funds, but not enough to cover all costs. Our lawyer is helping us pro-bono, but this is not likely to be the case with an advocate.

So, if comrades want to assist, they can deposit or transfer money into the APF account. This money will be set aside for the SECC.

The APF's bank details follow.

Account Name: Anti-Privatisation Forum Bank: First National Bank, South Africa Branch: Bank City Bank Address: Block A, #3 First Place, Bank City, FNB, Johannesburg, 2000 Branch Code: 250805(00) Account Number: 62027851452 Type of Account: Cheque Swift Code: FIRN ZAJJA046 Telephone: 011 352 1338/492 3321/492 3345 Contact Person: Vanitha Maharaj

Please help us get this message far and wide (both locally and overseas). We will be holding a mass meeting at Funda Centre in Soweto on Saturday, April 13th. See attached flyer for more details.

Yours in struggle to free the Kensington 50!

Florencia Belvedere Treasurer, Anti-Privatisation Forum

For sending emails to demand the release of the Soweto protesters: ----- Original Message ----- Subject: Email addresses
address is: YCoetzee at justice.gov.co