McReynolds on A20 controversies

Chuck Munson chuck at tao.ca
Tue Apr 9 15:27:44 PDT 2002

Nathan Newman wrote:

> Come on- the whole "bring the war home" strategy was pretty pathetic in the
> Vietnam War. And there are plenty of police and jail space to keep order at
> home if needed. Such a strategy only works if opposition to the state is so
> widespread that by sheer numbers they can be overwhelmed by subversive
> activity. At the moment, the numbers likely to engage in such sabotague and
> active resistance is so small that they could be rounded up in a weekend if
> the state wanted to.
>
> And such strategies are unlikely to recruit new people who are not sure how
> they feel about the war.

I don't have the citation, but in Chomsky's new book 'Understanding Power,' he talks about some government documents which indicate that the protests and riots on the streets had caused the government to consider whether or not to send troops to Vietnam or keep them at home.

I disagree with you about the numbers of people who are willing to engage in sabotage and the like. Look, if there are enough people to do property damage at demos in the United States and cause the authorities to spend millions on law enforcement, it would be within our reach to aim for something bigger.

We have that ace up our sleeve and the government knows it. This is why they rely on push button air war and the National Guard as a back-up.

<< Chuck0 >>

Personal homepage -> http://flag.blackened.net/chuck0/home/index.html Infoshop.org -> http://www.infoshop.org/ Alternative Press Review -> http://www.altpr.org/ Practical Anarchy Online -> http://www.practicalanarchy.org/ Anarchy: AJODA -> http://www.anarchymag.org/ MutualAid.org -> http://www.mutualaid.org/ Factsheet 5 -> http://www.factsheet5.org/ AIM: AgentHelloKitty

Web publishing and services for your nonprofit: Bread and Roses Web Publishing http://www.breadandrosesweb.org/

"...ironically, perhaps, the best organised dissenters in the world today are anarchists, who are busily undermining capitalism while the rest of the left is still trying to form committees."

-- Jeremy Hardy, The Guardian (UK)