Palestine, aka, The right list

Brad DeLong jbdelong at uclink.berkeley.edu
Tue Apr 9 19:15:01 PDT 2002

>Brad Meyer wrote:

>The progressive position would not indulge in the fantasy that "two
>states" is a
>solution. For the Palestinians, it will only be apartheid
>dependency writ slightly
>larger. The conflict will resume, and ultimatey the state of Israel
>will disappear.
>It is a doomed state.

And the Israelis? What happens to them? And the people of Damascus, Cairo, Amman, and Riyadh? What happens to them in this charming non-fantasy of yours?

I would say that two states has to be *the* solution--or else. As a guy I know named Patrick Gliddon wrote, "Silly fools.... There *will* be peace sooner or later. Maybe an ominous peace, silence in a wasted land with carrion birds avoiding the poisoned flesh...but there *will* be peace. The progress of modern weaponry doesn't leave much room for anything other than diplomacy...

Brad DeLong