lbo-talk-digest V1 #5977

ChrisD(RJ) chrisd at russiajournal.com
Wed Apr 10 07:59:07 PDT 2002

Reed Tryte wrote, replying to Brad De Long:

Fair enough. However, how many countries in economic history have industrialized and become something approximating decent middle-class societies under these conditions? As far as I know, the answer is zero. ----------------------- By my counting, the big economic success stories of the 20th century are (and I'm not touting either of the latter two as role models!):

Post WWII Japan and South Korea. Post WWII Germany. Nazi Germany. The USSR under Stalin.

None of these by any stretch of the imagination followed the neoliberal model.

Chris Doss The Russia Journal