Why Fundamentalists support Israel- straight from Pat Roberts on

Heer, Jeet (National Post) JHeer at nationalpost.com
Wed Apr 10 08:58:19 PDT 2002

Sure, there is a political alliance between Xian fundamentalists and Israel, but I wonder how deep it goes? It seems to me that for the grass-roots members of the Christian right, domestic issues such as abortion and gay rights are much more important than who controls the West Bank. So, contrary to some on this list, I'm not sure if this alliance explains why the U.S. supports Israel the way it does. Rather than looking at the strength of the Jewish and/or fundamentalist lobby, it is better to look at the role Israel plays in shoring up U.S. power. During the Cold War, Israel often aided the US in areas where, for domestic reasons, Reagan and Bush didn't have a free hand: South Africa, Guatamala, and the Iran/Contra deal. I suspect that for the US foreign policy elite, Israel is still seen as a very dependable pawn, depsite minor disagreements with Sharon.