anti-globalization label

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Apr 10 10:15:26 PDT 2002

Brad DeLong wrote:

>We neoliberals at least have broad agreement that developing-country
>governments are corrupt,

Multinational corporations, however, are all fine, upstanding global citizens, who pay human wages, provide safe working conditions, tend carefully to the earth, pay their fair share of taxes, and publish honest accounts. Right?

>by and large (East Asia excepted) lack the competence to run
>successful developmental states, and hence the best chance is to try
>to shrink them to keep them out of the way of economic development
>for a generation or so.

Can you provide a single example where this has worked? The only region of the "developing" world that has managed to close the income gap has been the Asian countries with strong and competent states. Where has your small government, "neoliberal" model worked on its own terms?

>You can't even agree whether the big problem is that the U.S.
>Congress does not exercise enough or exercises too little dominion
>over India...

Does India exercise dominion over India? If so, which Indians?

Doug